Nadal said that his intent for the upcoming Grand Slam is to play at Wimbledon for the first time in three years. The 36-year-old, speaking at a press conference in Mallorca, Spain, said that he will travel to London on Monday to play at the high performance event that he has claimed two titles and will continue to play if his foot is feeling well.
Nadal said, “My intention is to try to play Wimbledon like I said after Paris, if there’s some possibility.” He continued: “This week where I trained, they said that there’s a chance, so my intention is to travel to London on Monday.”
Nadal, who won his 14th French Open title earlier this month — his record-extending 22nd in total — despite playing the final without any feeling in his foot, said he was excited to be back at Wimbledon but that it would depend on how his foot responded to training. The Spaniard has been suffering with a foot injury for years now and requires daily injections to play.
In an interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour, Rafael Nadal stated that “after the pandemic something happened in my foot. I am not able to manage the pain to play often and even practice.” He has been beset by injury problems throughout his career.
Nadal lost to Federer in the semifinals of Wimbledon in 2019 as the Covid-19 pandemic canceled the 2020 edition and the Spaniard pulled out of last year’s tournament due to injury. Despite ongoing concerns about injuries, the world No. 4 has already won the first two grand slams of the season — the Australian Open and the French Open — as he attempts to win an extraordinary calendar grand slam. This year’s Wimbledon gets underway on June 27 but will be without injured stars Federer and Alexander Zverev.
Nadal hasn’t played at Wimbledon since losing to Roger Federer in the semifinals in 2019. He withdrew from last year’s tournament due to injury, and he is still dealing with his ongoing issue. The world No. 4 has already won the first two grand slams of the season — the Australian Open and the French Open — as he attempts to win an extraordinary calendar grand slam for a third time. This year’s Wimbledon will get underway on June 27 but will be without Federer and Alexander Zverev, who are both injured.